Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sushi Time Towa - Savannah, GA

Most of my colleagues fall painfully short of being adventurous enough to sample Sushi from our hinterland. Ron Coffman and Jay Grewe are exceptions to that though. Unfortunately, neither of them were around this week in Savannah. I was going it alone at the GA Chief's of Police Show and left to my own devices for meals.



The sign for this place shone like a beacon as I drove back to my hotel after setting up our booth at the Conference Center. It was very hot and humid outside and a Sapporo sounded like just the cure. I went inside and immediately believed I had made a sound decision.



I intended to only have a beer but sitting at the bar watching the sushi technicians do their work quickly changed my mind. This place has a nice and quaint little Sushi bar but also offers other Japanese Hibachi and other type fair. The staff were all very cordial and responsive and went out of their way to be welcoming.


The inside of the place was quite pleasant and clean. The atmosphere was laid back and no evidence of snootiness at all. I was the only customer sitting at the sushi bar at the time but there were several people sitting at tables at the off hour of around 4:00 PM.

I ended up ordering the "Olivia" roll which was mostly eel and avocado. I gotta tell you, it was great! I'm very partial to avocado and the way it was sliced and positioned on the individual pieces made optimal use of all the qualities that make avocado good. Mostly texture.

The owner's name is Saito Saito and was a very pleasant gentleman. We chatted for a while and during that time I learned that he has been in the restaurant business spanning Paris, New York, L.A. and places in between. Although a bit nervous, he agreed to speak with me about his restaurant on video.

54 W Montgomery Xrd

Savannah, GA 31406-3434

Phone: 912-920-2788


No comments: