Monday, July 14, 2008

KimChi II - Savannah, GA - Great Korean Food!

Korean food is a passion for me and my family.

I first scoped out KimChi II before going to Sushi Time Towa and was not awestruck by the exterior.





Walking in definitely did impress me. When you first see a number of Koreans eating, chatting and socializing it's a good sign. The smell of the place was impressive too, I detected the aroma of a cacophony of quality foods and ingredients as soon as the door was open. The menu was laid out well with images of a number of the items and broken down by category.


I ordered that dish that is the "meat and potatoes" of Korean good home cooking... Bulgoki (marinated, stir fried beef with some veggies like white and green onion). I drank Budweiser since they did not have any Korean beer. Not having Korean beer like Hite, Cass or O.B. is not a black mark on them though, since Dallas is the only place in the states I've found so far that does serve Korean beers in the restaurants. After I ordered they brought the beer and sides. The sides were great and not too heavily infused with sesame oil (which many Korean dishes have a bit too much of).


I questioned the waiter about the kimchi; "Do you guys m

ake your own?" He said "Of course". And wow! It was indeed good. The name of the place did not disappoint. The Kimchi was not sour, was firm and very spicy. Some of the best I've ever had. I asked for 2nds during the meal as well.


The bulgoki was exceptional too. Served with the rice right on the plate (a departure from most Korean presentations - usually on the side in a stainless steel topped bowl). The bulgoki was perfect and the whole experience was great. The waiter I had was not overly friendly, but the girl working the floor with him was. So, luck of the draw I guess.

Overall this was great Korean food and nice laid back atmosphere! Definitely give it a try if you like or want to try Korean food in Savannah.

Links:

http://friendseat.com/restaurants/837680/Kim-Chi-II-Korean-Restaurant

149 E Montgomery Cross Rd / Savannah, GA

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=149+E+Montgomery+Xrd+Savannah,+GA+31406&fb=1&geocode=9180005665761115678,31.997009,-81.119089&oi=manybox&ct=14&cd=1&resnum=5

No comments: